Here’s a quick overview of what to look for this fall. I’ll post soon on how to put all these elements together. Happy shopping!
- Simple, wearable shapes and fabrics from the forties, sixties and seventies.
- Embroidery, pleats, lace and eclectic detailing of the 70′s.
- Subtle plaids and jacquard patterns.
- Minimalism and neutral colors (gray, chocolate, beige, neutral and white-washed palettes) but also bright tones (teal, curry and red)
- Chunky knit sweaters
- Blouses: sheer and lacy or silk
- Lightweight sweaters and sweater vests in a variety of colors
- Wide-leg trousers
- Slim, cropped pants
- Skirts: mini, the midi, the maxi, pencil
- Polished flats
- Penny loafers
- Pointy-toed flats
- Boots: flat, tiny heel, extremely high, or chunky wedge ankle. Riding boots are also back this year.
- Go bold. Sensational prints, gold and baroque, high-octane glamour, statement chokers, snakeskin, fetish, fur, lace and tartan.
- Choker necklaces and cuff bracelets are all the rage.
- Polka dots and zigzag prints are popping up on bags and accessories.
- Bangs, especially when paired with a bob.
- Pixie cuts
- Small braids at the hairline
- Relaxed tailoring in outerwear, jackets, trousers, drainpipe pants and jeans.
- Sweaters in classic autumn colors.
- Turtlenecks are a key piece, especially in jewel tones (emerald-green, cobalt blue and purple).
- Smaller ties, with a width from one and a half to two inches.
- Looser fitting (but not baggy) jeans, brighter colored pants are experiencing a resurgence, as are cargo pockets.
- Loafers with tassels.